Much-criticised France coach Raymond Domenech will equal Euro 1984 winning handler Michel Hidalgo s record of being in charge of the national side when they play Tunisia in a friendly here on Sunday.
The 58-year-old who guided France to a penalty shootout defeat in the 2006 World Cup finals by Italy but was ridiculed after France crashed out of the first stage of Euro 2008 will be in the dugout for the 75th time since he replaced Jacques Santini after Euro 2004.
Unlike Domenech 77-year-old Hidalgo is a revered figure in French football, having brought together the great midfield or the magic square as it was known orchestrated by Michel Platini, with Jean Tigana, Alain Giresse and Luis Fernandez which culminated in the Euro 84 title hosted in France.
Overall Hid…
Sheffield Wednesday have appealed to fans for help in finding striker Lee Gregory’s face mask in time for the Sky Bet League One play-off final.
Gregory lost his protective mask during the Owls’ celebrations after their stunning fightback against Peterborough at Hillsborough in Thursday’s semi-final.
Darren Moore’s side overcame a 4-0 first-leg deficit to win 5-1 on the night and 5-3 in a penalty shoot-out, sparking wild scenes of joy among players and fans, who invaded the pitch.
Can you help!?
In the aftermath of our stunning comeback win on Thursday, Lee Gregory’s mask is missing!
The custom-built protective cover was near the dugout. Due to a short turnaround, we cannot replace in time for next week. Any ideas where it might be!? …
Sergi Guardiola has denied penning the offensive tweets that prompted Barcelona to perform a rapid U-turn on signing him, but he conceded he understands the stance adopted by the Liga leaders.
Barca announced on Monday that the 24-year-old had agreed a deal to join Gerard Lopez s Barca B team, only to confirm later in the day that the contract had been rescinded after posts from 2013, sent from the player s account and featuring a pro-Real Madrid and anti-Catalonia slogan, resurfaced online.
Midfielder Guardiola, though, claims he was not responsible for the tweets.
He told Onda Cero: It is a misunderstanding. I didn t write [the tweets], it was in 2013 and I didn t even know they existed.
It was put on my profile, but it wasn t me.
I a…
Real Madrid have brought an end to the farcical reign of Rafael Benitez and Florentino Perez is hoping that a model which has worked so well for fierce rivals Barcelona will rekindle their success after appointing club icon Zinedine Zidane to replace him as head coach.
Benitez lasted just 18 La Liga matches at the Santiago Bernabeu, sacked amid rumours of dressing room discontent and dissatisfaction amongst supporters which brought an end to his spell in charge, despite losing only three times in the top flight.
His time at the helm appeared doomed from the start, with immediate doubts raised over his tactical style and widespread disappointment at the sacking of Carlo Ancelotti, with president Perez forced to issue him with a vote of confidence in November after lo…
Arsenal might be pursuing two wingers in the upcoming transfer window: Olympiacos’s Daniel Podence and Real Madrid s Lucas Vazquez, reports Mirror, citing sources from the continent.
Olympiacos would reportedly be willing to let go of the 23-year-old for around £21.5million. However, Gunners would not be alone in their attempt to secure the Portuguese winger, as another – undisclosed – Premier League club are also said to be interested in signing him.
Podence, who started at Lisbon’s Sporting at the age of 10, joined Greek Olympiacos in July 2018 on a five-year contract. He famously helped his club come back from Tottenham’s 2-0 lead in the group phase of the Champions League in September, which eventually ended in a 2-2 draw.
Another one of Arsenal�…
England and Croatia face a struggle to unseat Spain at the top of their Nations League group after playing out a goalless draw in an empty stadium in Rijeka.
Croatia had been ordered to play the match behind closed doors after a swastika was marked on the pitch in Split ahead of a Euro 2016 qualifier against Italy.
And the World Cup finalists appeared to miss the backing of their home fans as they struggled to take control of the match, with England dominating after a poor first half from both sides.
But Gareth Southgate s men could not atone for their semi-final defeat to the same opponents in Russia, despite hitting the woodwork twice and seeing Marcus Rashford waste a pair of fantastic opportunities
The absence of spectators – with the exception of …
Virgil van Dijk has warned Chelsea it would not be wise to underestimate a Liverpool team without Mohamed Salah and Darwin Nunez.
Jurgen Klopp’s side proved in midweek, when they came from behind to beat Luton 4-1 with an impressive second-half performance, they are capable of scoring goals without two of their major stars.
Both face late fitness tests ahead of Sunday’s Carabao Cup final after Salah suffered fatigue in his first match back at Brentford last weekend after a month out with a hamstring injury and Nunez was replaced at half-time in the same game as a precaution.
It will be a very proud day, a special day.
Virgil van Dijk on leading Liverpool out in a final at Wembley:
— Liverpool FC (@LFC)
With Diogo Jota, their secon…
What the papers say
Luton midfielder Ross Barkley, 30, is a surprise target for Manchester United, reports The Sun. The former Everton player previously had a spell at Nice, where Sir Jim Ratcliffe is owner.
Ratcliffe wants United to draw up a new pay structure. According to the Daily Mirror, the new investor wants salaries to be more dependent on success.
Arsenal are targeting teenage striker Kenan Yildiz, although Juventus have set an asking price of £51million, according to The Sun. The 18-year-old has made 15 appearances for the Italian side since joining from Bayern Munich.
West Ham midfielder Lucas Paqueta, 26, could be a target for Manchester City. The Daily Telegraph reports the Brazilian is a possible replacement for Bernardo Silva, 29, if he leaves th…
Crystal Palace manager Tony Pulis has confirmed the club s interest in signing Manchester United winger Wilfried Zaha on loan when the transfer window re-opens in the New Year, understands.
The England international, who joined United from Palace in a deal worth £15 million in January, has made just four appearances in all competitions for the Reds this season.
His first-team opportunities were always going to be few and far between, but even more so now that Nani has inked a new five-year deal worth £120,000-a-week.
The likes of Adnan Januzaj, Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young, Danny Welbeck, Nani and Shinji Kagawa are currently ahead of Zaha in the pecking order at Old Trafford, fueling speculation he could be loaned out in the near future.
…
Portuguese international Pepe, who has not played for Real Madrid since December due to injury, said Thursday he is keen to return to action for the Spanish giants.
I feel fine and am eager to step onto the pitch and help the team. I can?t wait to play at the Bernabeu again. It is very important to me, he said in comments published on the team s website.
The Brazilian-born defender suffered knee ligament damage that required surgery during Real s 3-2 La Liga win at Valencia on December 12 which forced him to miss the rest of the 2009-10 season.
The player, whose full name is Kleper Laveran Lima Ferreira, recovered in time be a part of Portugal s World Cup squad in South Africa but he then tore a muscle in his left leg in august during Real s pre-season US tour.…